The Filipina Dress

>> Sunday, June 25, 2006

One afternoon in a moment of idleness, I found myself talking about wedding clothes with Evan, a good friend with whom I talk to over the AOL instant messenger on a daily basis. I told him, while I adore dresses inspired by Liv Tyler's Arwen costumes from Lord of the Rings, it is far more likely that I will wear a Filipina dress to my wedding. The reasons I gave him are: 1) I will only be married once; 2) I have never worn a Filipina dress before; and 3) the Filipina dress, even in its modern forms, is beautiful and elegant. Evan is a foreigner and has no idea that we Filipinos even have a national costume.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The modern kimona, photo courtesy of MyBarong.net


So this got me googling to find some resources on the Filipina costume, and here are some of the things that I found:

Articles:


Images:


Online shops selling made-to-order filipiniana:


The Filipina dress is indeed beautiful, with a colorful history and an elegant form. There is more to learn about it, and I believe that I have even barely begun to scratch the surface. If ever the occasion arises, I would be honored to own and wear a full-length terno with its lovely butterfly sleeves.

3 comments:

Anonymous,  Sunday, February 1, 2009 at 8:00:00 PM GMT+8  

Good evening Anna. I find your blog very interesting as today, I also muses over my dream wedding suit to wear on my daughter's coming wedding day.

I subscribe to your philosophy that "even in this modern times, the Filipina dress is beautiful, with a colourful history and with a look of elegance".

Tonight, I have been net surfing to find pictures of the Filipina dress that I would like to post in my 'random thought blog' of "What I like to wear on my daughter's wedding day".

Then I found this write up of yours. Yes, you are right there, there's nothing more meaningful with a tad of history when you wear a traditional Filipino creation we call, Sariling Atin.

My daughter and her husband to be are both supportive and told me to go for what I wish to wear on their wedding day. I regard this a very special day, so I opt for the Filipina Dress in keeping to our tradition.


I wish you All the Best and may your dream come true!

Inday Sunday, February 1, 2009 at 8:25:00 PM GMT+8  

You may like to discard the other comment I posted earlier. But if you please check this link out, I am ready to ask your forgiveness.

http://parchedlandaustralis.blogspot.com/

Then please give the dress a tickle using your mouse which you will find something in hiding there.

Thank You Anna. Cheers from Australia.

Anna Sibal Sunday, February 1, 2009 at 10:11:00 PM GMT+8  

Ms. Bonnie Bonsai,

Thank you for your comment and thank you for the "tickle picture" on your website. I am happy to know that there are Filipinos who have taken root in foreign lands who still believe that wearing the Filipino dress is meaningful. I also thank you for reminding me that I still have this blog. :)

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding, and I wish you all the best as well.


Anna

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP